BALTIMORE CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT

CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY, for all matters requiring immediate assistance, either from the fire department or emergency medical technicians.  

Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms save lives!  


Residents can request free smoke alarms for your home and the fire department will install them for you.  Call 311.


Smoke Alarms for the deaf or hearing impaired are also available by calling the Office of the Fire Marshal: 410-396-5752


DON'T GO TO SLEEP TONIGHT WITHOUT A WORKING SMOKE ALARM!


Please check it monthly and replace the battery when you change your clock for daylight savings time.


Safety Tips

CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from fuel burning appliances in and around the home, an oil furnace, a natural gas water heater and even a lawn mower.   Install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of the house.


ELECTRICAL FIRE SAFETY

Electrical fires claim the lives of 280 Americans each year.  Most of these fires are caused by incorrectly installed electrical wiring and overloaded circuits and extension cords.


Fire deaths are highest in winter months which call for more indoor activities and increases in lighting, heating, and appliance use.   

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.  Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.  Do not try to repair them.
  • Appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.  Never use an extension cord. 
  • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection and have the label of a recognized testing laboratory (UL rated).


SPACE HEATERS

Placing things that can burn too close to heating equipment or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, was the leading factor contributing to ignition in fatal home heating fires.  Take extra precautions and never leave unattended.


OUTDOOR GRILLING

 To make sure your next barbecue does not go up in flames, follow these safety tips:

  • Designate the grilling area a No Play Zone, keeping kids and pets well away until grill equipment is completely cool. 
  • Before using, position your grill at least 3 feet away from other objects, and 10 feet away from the house and any shrubs or bushes.
  • Only use starter fluid made for barbecue grills when starting a fire in a charcoal grill.
  • Never bring a barbecue grill indoors, or into any unventilated space. 
  • Before using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to be sure it is working properly and not leaking.
  • Check grill hoses for cracks, brittleness and holes. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the tubing.
  • Never use a match to check for leaks. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don't attempt to light the grill again until the leak is fixed.
  • Always keep propane gas containers upright.
  • Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.


HOLIDAY SAFETY

  • Freshly  cut trees and flame-retardant artificial trees bearing the UL label significantly reduces fires
  • The trunk of the tree should be cut off at an angle and kept in a water-filled holder. Make sure the tree is fastened securely
  • Every year, examine lights for frayed wires and loose sockets. Use only lights that are UL approved
  • Never place a tree near any heat source (radiators, fireplaces, portable heaters, etc.) Don’t place tree in front of a doorway.
  • Don’t use candles as decorations or displays on or around the tree.
  • Never place electric lights on an artificial metal tree.
  • Keep gift wrappings away from electrical wiring and electric or battery-powered toys away from the tree