Housing Inspection

Code Enforcement

To maintain safe and attractive neighborhoods throughout the city, the Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD)'s Code Enforcement Division enforces the city's housing, zoning, building and related codes.  Recently the division was reorganized and restructured to increase efficiency while making it more accessible to Baltimore residents.  Working together, we are a powerful team, committed to maintaining the appearance and value of Baltimore's neighborhoods, particularly the Loch Raven neighborhood.

This web site was created to help homeowners and tenants understand the many codes and how residents can help keep neighborhoods strong by providing aggressive and equitable code enforcement.

Get answers to frequently asked questions and information on owner and tenant responsibliities.

Report Potential Violations:

To report potential housing and sanitation violations, please call 311 

or use:

(Baltimore's 311 Online Customer Service Request system) 



Baltimore Housing's Office of Permits & Building Inspections enforces the Baltimore City Building Code, as well as state laws pertaining to construction and occupancy.  This office issues building permits and provides subsequent inspections for; construction, alteration, electrical, mechanical and plumbing work in both commercial and residential structures. 

File your completed application in person at: 

The One- Stop Shop, 417 E. Fayette St., Room 100.  Not sure if your project requires a permit? 

Call us at 443-984-1809.

What type of work requires a Permit?

A permit is required to:

  • Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, rehabilitate, demolish (interior or exterior) or move any structure
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system
  • Change the use of any structure or land
  • Perform any grading or excavating

As a general rule of thumb, minor repairs do not usually require permits, unless the item is being replaced altogether or significantly altered.  Renovations, modifications, and reconstructions always require a permit.

How do I report Unpermitted Work?  

To determine whether a permit has been obtained for work currently under construction or to determine that the scope of work has been properly permitted, an existing permit search may be accessed by the property address, permit number or neighborhood (you can search permits issued since 1/1/2005).

You may then report the illegal work by calling 311,

or use:

(Baltimore's 311 Online Customer Service Request system) 

For complete information on permits, please visit:



Illegal Signs

 Article 19 Subtitle 45 of the Baltimore City Code makes posting signs on City owned or controlled property illegal and punishable by a $500 Environmental Control Citation.  City-owned or controlled property includes buildings; lots; parks; trees; signs; poles; traffic devices; medians; etc.

Illegal signs, such as "We Buy Houses",  "Contractor for Hire", "Daycare Available", etc. have become a serious neighborhood nuisance and a community eyesore.

To report Illegal signs in the LRIA community, please call 311,

or use:

(Baltimore's 311 Online Customer Service Request system)